Four County Community Foundation is committed to serving the current and emerging needs of our local community, continuing the tradition of philanthropy begun generations ago.
The Foundation is dedicated to bringing together human and financial resources to support progressive ideas in education, health, community, youth and adult programs.
The Foundation provides a secure, flexible vehicle for individuals, families, foundations and organizations to positively impact the quality of life in our community.
The Foundation recognizes that in order to meet its commitments to the community it serves it must seek growth through its permanent endowment funds from a wide range of donors.
Communities We Serve
Four County Community Foundation provides services to the villages and cities of Almont, Armada, Capac, Dryden, Imlay City, Metamora, Oxford, Richmond and Romeo, Michigan.
Our annual audit and IRS 990 are on file for review at the Foundation office during normal business hours. Copies of either document are available for a nominal fee.
Names of investment managers, fees charged, and names of Four County Community Foundation Trustees responsible for investment and oversight of assets are available upon request.
Publications & Documents
Reports to the Community
In 2014, our Annual Report was replaced by our Report to the Community. Each Report to the Community includes financial information from the previous year.
The history of Four County Community Foundation begins with the history of its predecessor organization, Community Hospital Foundation.
In the early 1930’s, Dr. G. Clare Bishop began his Almont practice in an upstairs office downtown. The need for a hospital in town was apparent: broken bones, coma, surgery, births, – all things not easily handled in his office, and a long, slow, sometimes painful ride to have treated. Dr. Bishop used a room in their home at 409 East St. Clair as a hospital. As the need for beds increased, additional rooms were converted for hospital use. When the family moved, the home on East St. Clair became the Bishop Hospital. As the population of the area increased, Dr. Bishop and local businessman, James D. Ligon realized something should be done. They worked together to organize the effort to build a local hospital.
Incorporated April 9, 1953, the Community Hospital Foundation began raising money to build a hospital to serve the health needs of residents of northeast Oakland, northwest Macomb, southwest St. Clair, and southeast Lapeer Counties. Area residents and businesses were challenged with collecting funds to design, build, and equip a 32-bed hospital to be located near the center of its service area.
Construction was started with ground breaking ceremonies on Van Dyke Road between Almont and Romeo in June, 1957. The hospital was officially opened on January 5, 1959. The hospital was later expanded to 48 beds. The cost of the facility was estimated to be $715,000, of which, all but $92,000 from federal grant money was raised by gifts from the people and businesses operating in the community.
Operations and Closing
The new hospital was soon very busy, often filled to near capacity with patients, and usually with several newborn babies in the nursery. The operating room of Bishop Hospital had been on the second floor and patients were carried on stretchers up the steep stairs. Surgery in the new hospital was now much easier on both staff and patients.
As advances in technology were made, larger hospitals had equipment beyond the means of Community Hospital. The hospital was operated profitably for about 25 years. The sale of the Octagon House at 231 E. St. Clair, Almont, as part of the William Hahn Estate, benefited the hospital. St. Joseph’s Mercy Hospital offered to purchase the Community Hospital, and continue to operate a health care facility. The Community Hospital Foundation officers decided to accept their offer of approximately $2,500,000.
It was then left to Board President, Ed Risch and the Trustees to determine the best use of the proceeds. The Board agreed that money which had been raised in the local communities should continue to benefit those communities. To do that, they decided to create a charitable foundation. To many of these good people this was a sad ending. They were aware that the money would stay to benefit their communities, but “community foundation” was a new concept to them. What it could do, who would administer it, how long would it last, many unanswered questions clouded their view. It is our sincere hope that they, and all who read this, will be satisfied with, and proud of, the heritage we at Four County Community Foundation continue to insure.
Helping Our Community Grow
Every effort has been made to acknowledge the many participants and various communities involved in making the Four County Community Foundation successful as it endeavors to serve the community. It is this legacy of involvement and devotion which continues to inspire the Board and Staff of Four County Community Foundation.
Now, in 2017, Four County Community Foundation is celebrating its 30th year. The $2.5 million original endowment from the hospital sale has grown to more than $14.2 million. In 30 years, the Foundation has invested nearly $8 million back into the community in grants and scholarships. 118 funds have been created to support various charitable purposes. By bringing together the resources of individuals, families, and businesses, Four County Community Foundation creates a permanent source of community capital that can benefit our local region forever. We are proud to continue our service to the corners of Lapeer, Macomb, Oakland and St. Clair Counties with the same commitment as the Hospital Foundation members that built the Community hospital in 1958.
Board of Trustees
- Mitch Blonde
- Greg Brynaert
- Dr. Clifton Clendenan
- Ken Hummel
- Randy Jorgensen
- Barbara Redding
- Bret Schapman
- Janaea Smith
- Joe Worden
- Julia Boushelle (YAC President)
Youth Advisory Committee
The Youth Advisory Committee is a branch of the Four County Community Foundation whose membership is entirely made up of youth from the community. Our Youth Advisory Committee or “YAC” as we refer to it; was established in the1990’s. The foundation of our YAC was a result of the Kellogg Challenge, which was a challenge to all community foundations in Michigan. The Kellogg Foundation wanted not just adults involved in philanthropy, but youth as well. As of today there are close to 1,900 YAC members state wide. Youth Advisory Committee